Research on cohousing
From: smk2152 (smk2152columbia.edu)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:30:28 -0700 (PDT)
Hi- I am writing because I am a masters student in Public Health and Aging at Columbia University and would love to have the opportunity to do my thesis on aging in cohousing. I am also, personally, a big fan of cohousing and am actively looking into joining one myself.

I would like to gather data for my thesis by interviewing residents over a period of three weeks (or so) and sitting in on some meetings, mealtimes and other communal activities. My research will focus on these questions: What about cohousing enables aging in place, how are home health aides incorporated into this unique housing-style, what are the challenges of establishing caring relationships with non-kin and what are residents' perceptions of their quality of life before and after moving into cohousing?

As for me, I am a quiet, studious and pleasant woman of 33, and I would always respect the fact that I was a visitor in people?s homes. It would be ideal for me if I could come for three weeks in January 2010. The ideal community would be either a multigenerational cohouse with a high percentage of older people or an elder-cohouse.

I would be greatly appreciative to hear from anyone!

Thank you,
Shira Klapper