Re. research on cohousing
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:40:22 -0700 (PDT)
Elizabeth Markle (lindy60696 [at] hotmail.com) wrote:

> First of all, let me thank the list for the many thoughtful replies to
> my query about research on cohousing!

> Secondly, my apologies to those I may have irritated! I can imagine that
> these types of broad questions get asked frequently on this listserv,
> and that it's frustrating to feel as though the askers haven't done their
> homework first.

Speaking as an individual and a little as the manager of the list, you are
forgiven for your open ended request. We have gotten similar request over
the 16 years of so the list has been around but not that often.

I think a discussion of the specifics of research proposals -- topics and
methodologies -- could be a good discussion here.  Particularly if we had
some folks knowledgeable about what has been done participating, which I
think we might get.

I do not know much about what Coho/US's Research Coordinator, Dr. Betsy
Morris can do but it would seem like input from folks here could also be
helpful if it can be focused.

It seems to me that the big problem of cohousing continues to be the
difficulty of getting it built which at fist seems to be quite different
than "psychological/social aspects of cohousing".  But with a little
brainstorming I came up with a few thoughts...

I wonder if "psychological/social aspects of cohousing" could be extended
to "psychological/social aspects of recruiting a core group of people to
build cohousing" (or keeping people involved).  The
Or the psychological/social aspects of various approaches to preliminary
proposal development - on the range from one person making a plan to a
cumbersome many people starting with a blank slate.

Or psychological/social aspects of proposing cohousing in an inner city
neighborhood where property is lower cost but not currently a popular
place to live.

Fred, who recently acquired a Sun EZ Speedster CX recumbent bike:
   http://fholson.cohousing.org/bicycles/sunez5.jpg
   (so far I have not managed a picture of me on it).

--
Jun 22: Robert Reich's Rx for  real health care reform
http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2009/06/20/healthcare/print.html

Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org