Re: Common laundry question
From: Ellen Keyne Seebacher (ellepobox.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:51:55 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 Bob Bernstein wrote:

> We are just beginning to consider things like whether or not we want
> laundry facilities in our homes as well as the Common House.  I do
> not have children, but while growing up my family had to walk
> through the Laundry Room to get the Garage, and it seemed like every
> time we left or entered the house we switched loads of laundry from
> the washer to the dryer and/or emptied the dryer.  Laundry for a
> family of five was a never ending task.  I would like to hear from
> families raising children what it is like living w/o a washer and
> dryer in your house, or put another way what is it like having to do
> laundry for a family in the Common House?

My kids are 10 and 14, and there is NO WAY you could ever get me to
give up my washer and dryer to do laundry in the Common House, even
if I were fully abled (which I am not -- I use a cane).  I'm constantly
starting or moving or emptying loads of laundry; if I had to traipse
over to the Common House to do it I'd be living there instead. :}

And I'm especially grateful for my own washer and dryer during periods
of household illness.  When someone has a stomach bug, you want
laundry capability Right Here and Right Now, not in a pile several
houses away waiting hours to be washed. :}

--
Ellen Keyne Seebacher                   elle [at] pobox.com