Re: Private home dishwashers: 18" vs 24"
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 09:08:47 -0700 (PDT)
I'm an amateur cook and a professional architect (although not one having Mr
Durrett's coho experience).  Your question is one of several hundred thousand
design questions for which there is no one-size-fits-all answer.  Here are some
things to consider:

Number of common meals per week may not be your best clue.  First, what you
think you will do, and what you end up doing, could be different.  Second, some
cooks choose to prepare their contribution in their own home kitchens, in their
own dishware, and to clean that dishware in their homes after the meal.
Instead of common meal estimates, I think you should evaluate:
LOAD:  If your household is small (one or two people); and/or your cooking is
simple (e.g., heat a store-bought can of soup); and/or you don't mind doing two
(or three?) loads a day — then the 18" may be appropriate for you.  Otherwise,
you'll likely find the 24" to be more serviceable.
PRIORITIES:  If your kitchens are really small, then you need to prioritize for
space — and again, 18" might be the best choice for apportioning scarce linear
feet of work zone.  So might a 32" or 28" refrigerator, and/or a 30" sink
cabinet.  I've designed mini-kitchens, and they can work — again, provided your
meals are simple, and team cooking with a significant other is not often part
of the menu.  But speaking of priorities ...
Are you really sure a mini-kitchen is the best way to use your limited floor
plan?  What about a mini-bedroom, or European-style mini-bathroom, instead?
Some communities shun privatized clothes washing/drying machines (real space-
and dollar-eaters, those), and go with shared laundry facilities out-of-unit.
Finally ...
I tend to recommend that you design and live in the space you want, not the
space that might appeal to an imaginary future buyer.  Even so, you should make
your choices with an awareness that the more atypical your unit design — like,
with a mini-kitchen — the more limited the pool of future buyers you will have.
 (Unless, of course, your community is in Manhattan.)

Hope this helps.

R Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA