Re: Shared community internet service
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 09:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Apr 1, 2014, at 11:42 AM, Lyle Scheer <wonko [at] monkeyhouse.org> wrote:

> the building contractor was not willing to do any
> of it other than putting a single piece under a sidewalk that allowed
> connection from the north side to the south side.  Then I pulled cat6
> cable to all of the units.  Since it's all in conduit, we should be able
> to pull other cable for our internal network should the need arise.

We also have conduits. One thing our internet people did before we were built
was to negotiate with the cable company RCN to do the wiring for all our units
in exchange for putting some kind of big green box in our basement -- it
manages all our RCN subscriptions. I think they thought they would have a lock
on internet service but our contract says they don't. They label us online as
an exclusive building, however, so we had to argue the point so others would
install.

So it might be worth a consultation with local communications companies before
you finalize plans.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines