Re: Costs for Shared Services [was Shared community internet service
From: R.P. Aditya (adityagrot.org)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 18:01:15 -0700 (PDT)
I think this conversation about what communities share and how/what they
charge to prevent a tragedy of the commons is very valuable to
record.

The hope is that we can share more and thereby benefit from living in
community and neighborliness, highlighting the practical efficiency of
living this way.

In general the guideline I like to follow and espouse is that amenities
should only be charged for if they are:

a) for exclusive use of a resource (ie. makes sense to charge for a
guest room that only one person/unit resident can host a guest in the CH
per night vs. not charging for use of a workshop with many benches that
multiple folks can simultaneously use)

b) the cost of tracking/billing is reasonable effort (ie. trying to
charge each household for how *much* Internet access they use is a
losing proposition)

Maybe others would be interested in comparing or just showing what all
they are able to share and for how much? I started a spreadsheet here
that anyone should be able to edit:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14zf3otgCgfSeZYHhZlsIAAqwTGJsuIzwftuWBlSRQsI/edit?usp=sharing

So feel free to add your community, and any other amenties you share and
note how much you charge or if you do...

Thanks,
Adi
Great Oak Cohousing
Ann Arbor, MI, USA