Financial Leader Supports Cohousing
From: Alice Alexander (alicecohousgmail.com)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 13:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
I'm reposting board president Bill Hartzell's opening words from this
morning's Coho Now! eNews. This is great news. Please visit
www.cohousing.org/ncb.

*Cohousing communities seeking financing and banking services can now
consider National Cooperative Bank
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001h_1sDA6d7jXOrgEX3jAvnV5RZcMdPwa9k5VOAUmBx16CzhdMni0lUVGP1YYwrRnOBx9FFLTl-6t-Lsr3LIjXRCR8oPz0F5mY9zDOUy3-5j2UZpmokSCKwgAsrqbAWCWXsfvzq3ns3imNEu3gM41HEL_GGjewizauihBErekP3OQ=&c=XibOobjbL4VOEli-_BhYZ8noC9ZxNGsUGq4LVf3X5qdXjjdpWHOG5Q==&ch=SsAWrOsfTqzz83ce7P-a5xAPm8Q7YTz03OU9AwSMiKUwaToHmMwKrQ==>
(NCB),
a national financial leader. *I made mention of this possibility at the
regional conference in Boulder last fall, and the national conference in
Durham this spring. With a big smile on my face, I now have the pleasure of
announcing that NCB has officially opened its doors to lending to
cohousing.

For more than a year, representatives of NCB, Coho/US, and Partnerships for
Affordable Cohousing
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001h_1sDA6d7jXOrgEX3jAvnV5RZcMdPwa9k5VOAUmBx16CzhdMni0lUfAu0k2eDcgoHyM6ldxTrtEPqQhIcaZ4hfotjyCu3K7zT2wi8_zZF9WOOiS1xRy4gj19WvhxliIP1pnf15rel_lhUY1ffUm0KjjaTP5Y45hx5hSuDSoBvwaWZHmVdoUqlvxTkfJw93AS&c=XibOobjbL4VOEli-_BhYZ8noC9ZxNGsUGq4LVf3X5qdXjjdpWHOG5Q==&ch=SsAWrOsfTqzz83ce7P-a5xAPm8Q7YTz03OU9AwSMiKUwaToHmMwKrQ==>(PFAC)
have been working together to make this financing opportunity available.

Many of us have experienced the frustration of seeking financing for our
communities. Cohousers often find themselves spending inordinate amounts of
time educating and re-educating potential lenders as to the concept and
value of cohousing, and in the worst cases having to correct preconceived
notions. Failing at those tasks, lenders are usually unwilling to consider
even the most robust financials and fine-tuned project budgets.

With 35 years of lending to housing communities nationwide, and advocating
for cooperatives, NCB understands and values cohousing. As pointed out by
NCB's Robert Jenkens, the guiding principles of cohousing and NCB align
very well. So much so, that not only has NCB opened its doors to us, they
met us at the stoop and invited us in. Read more about NCBs products and
offerings at this link
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001h_1sDA6d7jXOrgEX3jAvnV5RZcMdPwa9k5VOAUmBx16CzhdMni0lUVGP1YYwrRnOOM1YeMx4ucE5sHuQCD84uFuPLULqzTQwAzIcDpc9kmXfKzakxCVt9-CquTIPPdm8GvDp7GohQsRX_mJKRwmMRVqYhDQ0WO4cQfGY178Ahv58nBvXauCrHQ==&c=XibOobjbL4VOEli-_BhYZ8noC9ZxNGsUGq4LVf3X5qdXjjdpWHOG5Q==&ch=SsAWrOsfTqzz83ce7P-a5xAPm8Q7YTz03OU9AwSMiKUwaToHmMwKrQ==>
.

We are also exploring other financial opportunities, such as below market
rate funding that incorporates an affordable housing component. As this
work progresses, we'll keep you updated. I want to thank you - the
supporters of Coho/US. Without you, establishing these programs would not
be possible.  If you see value in our work, I ask that you please consider
us for your charitable giving
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001h_1sDA6d7jXOrgEX3jAvnV5RZcMdPwa9k5VOAUmBx16CzhdMni0lUTrA5KIb3UuE_adCgE_m3_6t2TZqwfAviJ2X9AfLRALQotMAuRcFl3iPXjY49NQ68TAm0NHBBAGzzSOD1kIo0TgpY0adauVlOc_0xSzNJuGx7oUogcbakn1vIG7N7pzxCFyb-D8DRr4f374snkcntgI6iAwXjHG47G-HHO3GL9cs&c=XibOobjbL4VOEli-_BhYZ8noC9ZxNGsUGq4LVf3X5qdXjjdpWHOG5Q==&ch=SsAWrOsfTqzz83ce7P-a5xAPm8Q7YTz03OU9AwSMiKUwaToHmMwKrQ==>
.
*Yours** in Community,** Bill Hartzell, <president [at] cohousing.org> Board
President*

--
Alice Alexander
Executive Director