Re: meals
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 11:54:49 -0700 (PDT)
Meals at RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA

Entirely voluntary. Cooked meals are every Monday. Volunteers to cook sign up
on a (physical) bulletin board sheet.
Ex: Oct 5, Maraiah + ____________
indicates I'd welcome someone to cook with me.

A one-page sign up sheet on the bulletin board has a date, names of cooks,
menu, and a list of those who typically come to meals, as well as "Others:_____"
Circle your name if coming; cross off if not. Cooks may choose to send a
reminder email to the RoseWind list, or phone people who havent' indicated yes
or no. Once the cook knows how many are signed up, they shop, figuring $4.50
budget per adult. Additional resources, not requiring expenses, are the pantry
items (oil, butter, condiments, vinegars, flours, tomato products, grains and
such) and anything harvestable from our community garden (that would presently
include greens, tomatoes, peppers, onions, beets, carrots, potatoes). It's safe
to figure 2-3 people will add in towards the last minute. I cook for that: if
there are leftovers, the cook gets first dibs anyway. No shows can be charged
$2.

One member keeps a spreadsheet, recording payments (typically in advance, or as
reimbursement for cooking expenses). Non-resident guests are charged a bit
more, kids less. Some members never cook, some cook infrequently, others every
6-8 weeks. Typically 2 cooks, though I've done it solo.

Everyone pitches in on clean up: dishes, wiping tables and counters, sweeping,
packaging leftovers for people to take home (free, unless the cooks overspent
their budget, when it is by donation). Cooks are the buck-stoppers for it all
getting done: trash out, dishes away, etc. Cooking, I find, is not very social:
too much focus on getting done on schedule, or I do a lot spread out over
several days ahead of time. Clean up, though, is a very social convivial time,
with at least 6 people busy in the kitchen, a few more in the dining room.

Our tables are mostly identical and can seat 4 at one, 6-8 at two, etc. Some
people like the small groups, others sit at the big oak table, or push tables
together.

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend WA
sunny and breezy

  • Re: Meals, (continued)
        • Re: Meals Sharon Villines, September 15 2015
        • Re: Meals Richard L Kohlhaas, September 20 2015
        • Re: Meals Beverly Jones Redekop, September 23 2015
    • Re: Meals Heather Carver, September 15 2015
    • Re: meals Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah, September 15 2015
      • Re: meals Muriel Kranowski, September 15 2015
        • Re: meals Richard L Kohlhaas, September 15 2015
    • Re: Meals Bryan Syverson, September 15 2015