Re: Inter-generational age-in-place co-housing communities - are there any out there?
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2015 15:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
> On Sep 29, 2015, at 4:45 PM, Jenny Guy <jenstermeister [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I think what happens -- and I'd welcome input from folks experienced in the
> process -- is, early in the design process the group makes the choice
> between flats on top of each other, or townhomes with bedrooms upstairs.

At Takoma Village a number of two floors were switched to flats because there
was more demand for flats. Because the design was done in modules, this was
relatively easy. (We did get odd kitchens, however.)

I think it also relates to the presence of stairs, elevator, etc. We have 8
with two floors stacked on top of each other (4 stacks). The top duplex has to
climb one exterior flight to their foyer, one interior flight to the first
floor, and one interior flight to the third floor. If the elevator had gone
that far down the green, they could have been flats but otherwise not.

In a townhouse situation, people like to be home when they enter their front
door. It’s more accessible, as well.

Some people like to  live in two floors so those sleeping upstairs are not
bothered by others downstairs. People can have some alone time. Any noise (like
music & TV) can be confined to one level — avoid forced sharing or deprivation.
The quiet and privacy are the reasons I hear when I ask.

I much  prefer a flat and I’ve taken out the bedroom walls so it is more
loft-like. Open and light. It looks much more spacious than it is.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC