Types of conflict in cohousing -- did I miss any?
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:14:58 -0800 (PST)
I'm very close to finishing the DIY Conflict Resolution Workbook! Shooting for
publication next week!

Meanwhile, I have a section at the end called Notes for Cohousing Communities
in which I talk about problems specific to these types of communities. Here is
a list of problems that can generate conflict, culled from my own experience
and submitted by others. Can you think of any that I have not included?

* Conflict avoidance, instead of real conflict resolution

* Absence of normal consequences — the absence of consequences you find in
"real world" scenarios like businesses, non-profits, social organizations.

* Culture clashes — most often seen in team leadership, turf ownership, and
participation. Often related to differing management styles. For instance, some
people like everything to be quantified (work hours, etc) and others like
things to be inspirational. Some of the problems mentioned are that team
leaders set themselves up as Team Tsars and never relinquish control, some
people harshly judge others for not participating socially, and so on.
Sometimes people of different nationalities approach management and
participation with very different expectations.

* Compelled behaviors and expectations

* Lack of sensitive conflict management — some communities that do have
conflict resolution processes only apply them to material disputes, and not to
emotional hurt

* Non-transparent channels of communication — often caused by fear of
technology and digital communication. Leads to proliferation of gossip,
cliques, and manipulation.

* Old Guard elitism

* Over-reacting to minor skirmishes – trying to enforce new rules for everyone
instead of negotiating a minor dispute

If you have any comments or examples, please feel free to share!

Read more:
http://thecohousinglife.proboards.com/thread/44/types-conflict-cohousing-any#ixzz3xupdBYEF

Warm regards,
Mary Baker