Re: Types of conflict in cohousing -- did I miss any?
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 10:06:01 -0800 (PST)
I agree with your comments on the positive aspects of management. I think where
we differ is on the definition of conflict.

>>But how can conflict not be healthy? It arises when one person
>>wants/believes/needs this and another wants/believes/needs that. If there
>>were not conflict, there would be no health. No diversity. No questioning.
>>Only adapting and conforming.

I do believe that learning to resolve conflict can be healthy and empowering,
and I discuss that at the beginning of the workbook, but developing new
strengths and skills still does not make a toxic situation healthy. Generally,
when I’m talking about conflict, I am not referring to dissension, objection,
protesting, doubt, withholding, pouting or even the occasional prima donna
temper tantrum. If you look at the definition of conflict in Merriam-Webster,
you’ll see words like war, battle, struggle for power, aggression, antagonism,
anger, dramatic action.

But I also spend some time talking about boundaries and how even some simple
things like having a family member never really listen to you can, over time,
become a draining emotional burden. So it isn’t really the size and the scope
that matters, it’s the fact that it’s a situation that has become in some way
toxic.

Mary