Re: marketing Aria Cohousing in Denver to families
From: yoni (yonikallay.net)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 16:26:35 -0700 (PDT)

The challenges of raising children are, for me, a primary reason that cohousing
is appealing, and I believe that Katy and Chuck cite this as a central
motivation behind cohousing in Denmark in their writing.

I'm thinking about this a good deal as I work to recruit for a new community
near where I live, so I thought I'd share a meta-point, which is that I think a
community that wants families has to have "affirmative action" for them, by
which I mean it should try to over-represent them.

 It's a numbers thing. If there's a critical mass of adults required to ensure
everyone has a few people in the community they can count as friends, this is
also true for children, except that children have narrower requirements for age
compatibility. If a community of 40 adults has 10 minors between 0 and 18
(which is what a representative sample of the general population would have)
that could give each of those kids very few choices in age-compatible playmates.