Re: The popularization of the term Co-housing
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 05:22:21 -0700 (PDT)
I don’t want to be the Captain of the Vocabulary Police, but I tend to use the
terms differently.  Condominium associations and home owner associations are
each legal entities (corporations, if you like) that own and manage common
property.  Condos associations tend to own a lot in common (with private
ownership limited to what’s within the drywall boundaries of the unit), and
home owner associations tend to own much less.  But all such corporations have
an elected Board of Directors; in MA, it’s called Managing Board, and in other
States, something else.  Cohousing communities are ever wary of hierarchical
structures controlled by elites, so they often invent work-arounds that
transfer duty and power from the legally-required Board to other groups.  But
in the eyes of the State that charters them, cohousing communities are still
corporations, and the buck stops at the Board.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing
Cambridge, MA