Re: storage of important files
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Oct 18, 2019, at 1:55 PM, Henning Mortensen <hmortensen [at] gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am currently ruminating about moving our files to NextCloud/OwnCloud.
>
> NextCloud runs on a Linux server and requires a fair bit of work to get
> running. This is not for those without technical help.
>
> I would like to organize a group of computer volunteers to set up services
> like this for communities who don't have the technical expertise, and
> mitigate the risk of loss of your tech guru.

In terms of online stuff I’m one of two people who handle programming and
accounts. I read several links on NextCloud/OwnCloud and would probably go with
NextCloud. But still have a basic question — Are these open source programs
that can be run on  our own hosting account?

Is it similar to using/setting up a Wiki? What is the  advantage of this
service vs a wiki or even Wordpress. I have just set up a wiki using Wordpress
to store information about our facilities. Anyone working on facilities can
enter information, records of service calls, minutes, and etc.

I’m very leery of free services like Google  and Yahoo. Google has repeatedly
changed the terms of their sites/wiki to the detriment of what has  been a very
successful record keeping system. All the changes were without notice. With
great determination after several years of  this, I set up our own wiki on our
hosting account.

Several years ago Yahoo with no notice (or none that anyone here saw) they
stripped all the attachments from several  years of messages. Since these were
posted during the start-up phase we lost valuable historical information and
documents including drafts. We transferred from Yahoo to Groups.io as soon as
problems started at Yahoo and are happy at Groups.io. Last week, Yahoo gave  1
week’s notice that they were stopping the YahooGroups as we know it. There is a
bit longer before they delete all archives. (There is something confusing in
their statement about continuing email and the ability to email groups -- not
sure what that means.)

Some teams use Google Docs for drafting docs and signups but these are
temporary documents. I’m totally put off by these  free services. The model
that Groups.io uses and Wordpress  plugins use I trust. They have a free
version but are supported with a premium version with support and more
features. Working off an income base of advanced services, means the basic
version is updated as well. Not abandoned.

A few years ago we  signed up with Association Voice, a  standard website for
condominium communications, and  had hoped  that we would be able  to
centralize all our communications, calendar, and files. No such luck. They are
only set up to work with a board so offer only a few email addresses, limited
kinds of storage, and a very limited calendar. Photos only to the extent that
they illustrate webpages. (We have an archive  of 1100+.)The people who work on
that site like it because it is so straightforward, but that also means it is
limited. Assoc Voice initially offered an integration with the financial
package our management company uses but  that was found  to be undoable. As a
result, we have the main service for $50 a month as long as we stay with them.
Plus any programming we want to do. They have to do all the changes and we
can’t make some because we use a template that others use — changes would have
to apply to all those sites.

But as time goes by, we still have different locations for many things. The
calendar is with CalendarWiz. It has so many features and is so easy to use
that I doubt if we would ever change. We fairly often reserve 7 rooms/areas in
the CH, two guest rooms, two outdoor spaces, and several parking places.  Also
keep track of birthdays and travel. (I highly recommend it.)

We are adding a calendar on the door to reserve a room that teens want to
reserve for homework, etc. and they don’t access the online calendar.

Our hosting  account on Bluehost provides email accounts. The Wiki and the
photo archives are on Bluehost as well. But each one is a separate sign in to a
Wordpress installation. And now people are using free online services to
schedule meals and other help for those needing TLC, to find out who can attend
meetings when, etc.

I have great hopes for Gather but it would be hard to persuade everyone to
switch.

Every once in awhile someone will ask what do you store in the common house?
What kind of cabinets, etc, do we need? Well, this long list is what you will
need for communications.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines