Re: Police policies
From: Elizabeth Magill (pastorlizmgmail.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2021 06:19:57 -0700 (PDT)
We don't have policies on that, but we have a slightly similar
situation. (We are two coho communities on one property.)
In the northern community a dog bit a young person who lives in the
southern community. The bitten family called animal control.

The northern community (with the dog) reacted by saying "you must talk
to the family before calling".
Our community (with the bitten person) reacted by saying "you can call
if it feels appropriate".

I work with communities on conflict. Often there is conflict that
"that other person isn't following our policies."

I think it would help when developing policies to ask how you would
enforce it once it is in place. Also ask whether you really have
agreement from all people to follow it.

So taking a policy about calling police (or animal control, or any
outside the community resource)--would the person who has done that
follow such a policy? And if they did not, then what would the
community do about the fact that they didn't follow it? In my
experience, and in this case even in my dreaming of best case
scenarios, I can't imagine what would happen if someone didn't follow
the policy. What would be a logical consequence? Who would make that
consequence happen?

The only next step that I can imagine is to talk to the person about
them calling the police. Do you have someone from the community who
would come with you as you try to do that?

It sounds like a very frustrating situation and I'm sorry there isn't
a way to change other people's behaviors. I wish there was.

Liz
Mosaic Commons in Berlin, MA.