Can I ask you about your community's governance system?
From: Ann Zabaldo (zabaldoearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2021 11:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
Good afternoon Adele!  Or good evening if you are in the UK today.

I’m just catching up to this thread ...

Congratulations on this very big study you’ve taken on. This is pretty huge.

From what you’ve written it seems that you are interested in governance systems
of Eco Villages that also include an economy.

There are eco-villages that have an economic base such as THE FARM in Tennessee
or Kentucky or somewhere in the south.   There are certainly communes where
that is true, for instance, TWIN OAKS, in Virginia.  But I think there are very
few Cohousing communities that share an economy as that’s one of the criteria
that distinguishes us from communes.  No shared economy.

If you haven’t already done so, contact Diana Leafe Christian who is The
Doyenne of EcoVillages - a prolific writer and organizer of this model of
intentional community. I’m guessing you’ve already found her. If not, a Google
search will turn up about a zillion references to her.

I have a long shot… I suggest contacting people working with Sociocracy.

This is a decision making and governance system that is making the rounds of
Cohousing but is also spreading or has spread in other venues. Actually, it’s
spread widely in other venues long before it found its way into Cohousing  Why?
Because my guess is The group of people working in Sociocracy keep track of who
is adopting their system of governance and decision making. I could be wildly
wrong about that.

Again, if you have not done so, I suggest reaching out to Jerry Koch Gonzales.
He is on this list and is probably reading this right now. He may be scrambling
for his list of eco-villages using sociocracy that also have an economic
base.(Sorry to make you scrambled, Jerry. I know paybacks are hell…)

Good luck to you Adele. I hope you will post your progress here so we can cheer
you on and help as well.

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington DC
Mid-Atlantic Cohousing
Midatlantic [at] earthlink.net

Sent from my iPhone
All tiipos ... curtesy of Siri  :-)

Sent from my iPhone
All tiipos ... curtesy of Siri  :-)
> On Jun 6, 2021, at 8:48 AM, Alice Alexander <aliceanne4 [at] gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Adelle, thanks for your interest in cohousing, and your intriguing study! I
> encourage you to connect with the Cohousing Research Network, a strategic
> partner of CohoUS.
> https://www.cohousingresearchnetwork.org/
> This academic group can provide you with any related research on cohousing
> communities, and help connect you with cohousing communities for further
> study. Although your post here may elicit some folks to talk with you, and
> that's a good thing!
> Also, the CRN can consider your study results to be included in their
> resource center.
> Good luck!
> Alice Alexander
> Durham Cohousing
>
>> On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 7:12 AM Adelle Stollmeyer [ee17a4s] <
>> ee17a4s [at] leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Greetings all!
>> My name is Adelle Stollmeyer. I am a final-year student at the University
>> of Leeds, completing my degree in Sustainability and Environmental
>> Management.
>> This year I am conducting research on systems of governance- a topic I
>> feel is crucial in de-constructing economic systems based on eco-socially
>> exploitative systems. I am especially interested in exploring community
>> governance, which is why I am reaching out to you!
>> I am looking for English-speaking participants to speak with me on their
>> perspectives of consensus-based decision-making at their eco-communities.
>> Included also are some questions on eco-community food systems. The
>> questions are quite general will last between 45-60 minutes.
>> If you would be so kind as to help me, please respond to this email, and I
>> will contact you shortly. Finding participants has been challenging, so
>> your time is extremely valuable to me.
>> With gratitude,
>> Adelle Stollmeyer
>> https://www.facebook.com/adellestolly/
>> Adelle Stollmeyer<https://www.facebook.com/adellestolly/>
>> Adelle Stollmeyer is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with Adelle
>> Stollmeyer and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to
>> share and makes the world more open and connected.
>> www.facebook.com

Best —

Ann Zabaldo
Takoma Village Cohousing
Washington, DC
Ex. Dir. & Mbr. Board of Directors
Mid Atlantic Cohousing
Principal, Cohousing Collaborative, LLC
Falls Church, VA
202.546.4654
zabaldo [at] earthlink.net

Employment application blanks always ask who is to be called in case of an
emergency.  I think you should write, "An ambulance."

NOTE:  I’m switching back to using zabaldo [at] earthlink.net.  Many apologies!