Re: Renting in Cohousing
From: Muriel Kranowski (murielkvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 11:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
 We had a homeowner who rented out her lower level. She didn't want them to
participate in the community, I think because an early renter (not hers)
had been very problematic and she must have decided it was better for
renters to keep to themselves. And her renters did keep to themselves, but
this has never been unusual here, it's just that she made it her goal. I
don't think she attempted to enforce it, she simply never told them
anything and let them assume it was just a quirkily laid-out regular
suburban neighborhood.

At some point, probably after she left (because she would have blocked it),
we agreed that renters need to be integrated into the community by both
their landlord and the committee that works on orienting new residents. I
assume the landlords do try, I know the committee does, but it doesn't help
very much. New renters might show up at one meal or social event at the
beginning (or not), and that's it.
   Muriel at Shadowlake Village