Re: work participation agreements in aging community
From: Lauren Lake (laurenlake161gmail.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
Our policy includes the following wording for this scenario.

For resident adults with a disability/illness:

• If it prevents them from doing some types of work, every effort will be made
to provide appropriate tasks.
• Personal or family disability/illness may exempt one individual from paying
for unworked hours for up to 3 months. After 3 months, hours become billable
unless the community agrees to an alternative proposal.

For context, Green Grove is a 9-unit multi-generational community on 5 acres.
The rate for hours not worked is set based on the local going rate for
landscaping.

Lauren Lake

work participation agreements in aging community

From: fernselzer (fernselzeraol.com)

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:38:32 -0700 (PDT)

Hi allI am wondering if there are any communities that have written work
participation agreements that address the issues that come up as the community
ages and there are more members who cannot do much physical work and even have
cognitive limitations preventing them from participating fully on other teams
that do non-physical tasks.  Another community gripe might be that those
working hard to make their contribution feel it's unfair that others either
feel justified or don't notice when they are not contributing.  These are some
of the issues 1. same need for physical work around the property, fewer people
able to do the work2.some people pay for hired workers because they can't
accomplish much themselves, others just hang around on the teams but don't
actually contribute much- as this goes on for a long time, it starts to feel
unfair3. some people have contributed extra  over the years, yet now should
they pay because they are no longer as productive?4. in our community, physical
work hours and committee work hours are kind of separate - there are
expectations in both areas and they are not interchangeable- do other
communities do this?5. we have a smallish community and don't have the manpower
to put someone in charge of a complicated work tracking system, yet some people
resent the lack of fairness otherwise6. People may not be aware of their
reduced capacity
I know this is big territory and has been discussed before, but I am hoping
that there are communities that have developed agreements and written them
down.   Our community has discussed it a lot, but we have had difficulty in
coming to any agreements.  ThanksFernNew Brighton Cohousing Aptos, CA