Re: What do you want to talk about?
From: Mac Thomson (macthomsonme.com)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 11:19:11 -0700 (PDT)
Heartwood Cohousing will hopefully soon be building our second phase of 14
homes. Our first phase of 24 homes was built in 2000. We are focused on making
sure we do a top notch job of integrated new community members. Our orientation
and integration process is detailed here
<https://www.heartwoodcohousing.com/for-new-members.html>.

Best of luck to you!

--
Mac Thomson

Heartwood Cohousing
Phase 2 Project Manager
http://www.heartwoodcohousing.com

> On May 17, 2021, at 9:03 AM, Elizabeth Magill <pastorlizm [at] gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Similarly, but also quite different, we tend to add new households one
> at a time. And each time we do we hear from the previous new
> households (sometimes a year or two later) that we haven't
> successfully helped them to integrate.
>
> I'd love to hear from communities that have a great new member
> integration team. What do they do? How do they do it?
>
> My own goal is that we become a new community with each new member. I
> hear that's a thing but I don't think we do that.
>
> Liz
>
> On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 9:12 AM Martie Weatherly
> <mhweatherly [at] earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Liberty Village, formed between 1995 and 2000 and moved in 2000-2001. We
>> only built half of our community due to county restrictions, and are now
>> starting to sell the next ten available lots.
>>
>> Community is now about half "pioneers" and half "settlers".
>>
>> We knew it was going to be challenging to bring in new people but it is more
>> challenging than we thought. Of the "settlers", we have 3 who are
>> participating fully with us, 3 who participate little and 2 families who are
>> very vocal critics.
>>
>> What seems to us to be missing is the level of trust we had for each other
>> when we started. That is still present in the pioneers toward each other but
>> not in the general community. We are more divisive on topics than we were.
>> People are more wedded to their point of view.
>>
>> Some of us think we could use more training from your book on how to shift
>> from a you vs me culture to a we culture. How do we incorporate people who
>> get adamant about their point of view?
>>
>> It is more tiring than it was and we are all 20 years older! And we now have
>> the second half of the community to build.
>>
>> Thanks for this topic.  And thanks for all you are doing for cohousing
>> communities.
>>
>> Martie Weatherly
>> 301-538-6811 text is best
>> Health and Wellness Coach