Re: Cohousing, Communes, Community--Not for Profit! Please
From: James Ausman (ausmansoda.berkeley.edu)
Date: Wed, 25 May 94 12:46 CDT
Co-housers and Friends,

Jim Slotta brings up interesting points in his discussion of whether or
not communities can survive the death of their founders. I spent three
years living in a student co-op, which by nature, had a tremendous turn-
over rate. In this situation, the level of community of the house ebbed
and flowed, depending on many things, probably the most important being
how similar in philosophic nature the members were to each other. However,
often the newest members were the ones most willing to dedicate time and
energy to the community. Of course they tended to reshape it into their own
vision of what they thought the community "should be", but I do not think
this is a bad thing at all.

How relevant this is to co-housing is certainly questionable, but I am
cautiously optimistic that most co-housing communities will probably survive
the death of the founding generation. I am sure that they will mutate into
unanticipated forms, but that is probably inevitable.

Jim Ausman
ausman [at] soda.berkeley.edu