Re: Romance and Sex in CoHousing
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (staniforcs.ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 22:36 CST
Joani asks about nudity and romance/sexual relationships.

As far as nudity goes, we have both a sauna and a hot-tub.  I've never seen
anybody use a bathing suit in either.  People usually go over there and
come back in a robe or towel. I'm told that folks have been seen
occasionally streaking across the community from the sauna late at night in
a naked condition (though I have yet to observe this myself).  The whole
thing is not an issue at all.  I *believe* we have a no-sex-in-the-tub
policy though I can't quite remember off hand.  I strongly suspect that
public sexual acts would be unacceptable here, though the issue hasn't
arisen yet.

As far as affairs/romances go:  we have one couple who met through living
in the community and are now married.  There was another person who was
hurt by that situation (there was some miscommunication over the ending of
the one relationship and starting the next).  It never became a *community*
issue though.  I think the fact that the situation happened in cohousing
made it worse for the "abandoned" person since she then had to watch the
new relationship flowering across the community.  I could imagine that
happening elsewhere too.

We've had at least one case of the major-public-fling-with-another-
-community-member.  It ended quickly with no lasting harm done.  I
would guess that there is a large potential for affairs/flings
outside of marraiges to cause problems in a community though.  If
everybody gets to gossiping and taking sides it could make the
situation worse.  I imagine it would tend to make things much more
public than they would otherwise be.

Another case where the community was helpful happened when a resident had a
very bad break-up after which his former partner (who did not live here)
began harrassing him.  I think community members were very supportive of
the resident - just as they are with anybody going through a crisis of any
kind.  It became very difficult for all of us because the former partner
was in the habit of coming to community dinner a lot, to some of our
meetings also, and had developed friendships with some other community
residents.  She claimed she wanted to continue to do those things and to
be considered, in effect, a member of the community.  For various reasons,
it seemed likely to most of us that she was doing this in order to harrass
her former boyfriend rather than for her stated reasons.

This situation took quite a bit of working out.  Again, it never was
discussed explicitly at any official meetings (that I can recall), but
various people attempted to mediate the situation.  Roughly speaking, an
arrangement was worked out where the two parties would adopt schedules such
that they could both be in the community and yet not bump into each other.
Neither was very happy with this, but it sort of worked for a while.  After
an interval, the former partner ceased trying to come to the community.

It also motivated N St to define its membership policy much more clearly.
Previously, we had attempted to be as inclusive as possible.  When the
community was much smaller, we wanted to grow and so we encouraged many
people to come to meals and be involved even though they didn't live in the
contiguous houses.  The hope was that this would provide a pool of people
motivated to buy or rent houses adjacent to us as they became available.
Thus, four years ago when I moved in, there were quite a few people coming
to meetings and being involved who didn't live here.  They were sort of
considered members as good as anyone else - though it wasn't made terribly
clear what everyone's status was.  It hadn't needed to be.

The situation I described above made it clear to us that we needed to be
much clearer about who was a member and who wasn't.  We decided that to be
a member you needed to live here.  We made various ad-hoc arrangements with
folks who didn't live here but were involved - but basically we made it
clear that only people who lived here could ever block our consensus
process.  That came largely out of fear of what could have happened in this
bad break-up situation.  We are definitely less open to outsiders now -
which is perhaps not all to the good.

Finally, as to gay folks: we have had something like six lesbian or
bisexual women living here at various times.  However all have moved on,
and at least a couple of them said to me that they did *not* find N St
a great place to be gay.  My impression was not that they met with any
discrimination per se, but rather that they just found it uphill work
living in a heterosexual mind-set all the time.  Being the only person
in a community to have some some major defining attribute is probably
always tough (Rob Sandelin had a really good post about this a few
months back I think).

Stuart.

Stuart Staniford-Chen           |       Dept of Computer Science
stanifor [at] cs.ucdavis.edu            |       UC Davis, Davis, CA 95616
(916) 752-2149  - work          |               and
(916) 756-8697  - home          |       N St. Cohousing Community
Home page is http://everest.cs.ucdavis.edu/~stanifor/home.html