Re: how long DOES it take?
From: Ginny Moreland (vmorelandmindspring.com)
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 20:40:57 -0600 (MDT)
Denise:

Answers below from East Lake Commons (Atlanta)

I'd be interested in a quick reply from the built (or nearly built)
communities on line. How long DID it take?  More specifically these
questions:

How long from when the group formed to move-in?  -  26 MONTHS  (counting
from when some early participants partnered with a developer and formed a
new cohousing entity)

How long from when you found land and got control of it (optioned or
purchased)?   -  20 MONTHS (developer had already found and owned the land,
so there was just a short period of time while the non-profit development
corporation was formed and the official transfer of control was made.)

(However I will say that due to size of project and various construction
delays it will be at least 18 months from first move-in to last move-in. An
interesting, long and challenging transition period!  We're getting real
close to being half occupied now.)

Ginny Moreland
East Lake Commons

For us it was 6 years and 3 years.