Buying a coho unit and renting for a few years...
From: Adelaide Nye (anima77pacbell.net)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:22:12 -0600 (MDT)
Dear Coho-L members:

May I ask for your experience and opinions about an unusual approach we are
considering for how to arrive at life in a co-housing community (already
built) in about four years.  We very much want to live in co-housing, but
have to figure out how to do it from a somewhat different angle.

My husband and I live in the San Francisco area.  We married recently and
prior to that neither of us were able to buy a home; it's expensive
here.  Now it is downright impossible to do so; prices are just ridiculous,
approaching $900,000 for a house -- and we don't want to live that way in
any event. We like co-housing very much and have visited 8 projects in the
last two years. Yet we have good work that we enjoy and have decided to
stay here for about four more years.

In the meantime, by pooling our incomes we now could afford to buy into
co-housing.  But there is no co-housing in this area that would permit us
to stay in our jobs. The commutes are terrible and our work is kind of
specialized. We are not going to look for new jobs in the San Francisco
area.  Uultimately, we plan to move to the Northwest.

Have any of you had experiences (good or bad) with folks who bought into
co-housing, but didn't live there until later?  We were thinking that we
might want to see if co-housing communities were open to us renting it to
others for four years.   Having actively read this list for more than 1.5
years (2nd half of '98 through all of '99), I know that we'll learn a lot
from your responses to this idea.

We want to hear your thoughts on the "plusses and minuses" of the concept--
both for the community, and for us.  If you can illustrate your comments
with real live experience, please do so, or let us know where you are
"coming from". That would be so helpful and will play a pivotal role in how
we approach this.  We want to thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Kind regards to all, Adelaide