Religious based cohousing
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:30:02 -0700 (MST)
There is an existing Mennonite cohousing group in Seattle. I recall seeing
advertising for a Jewish cohousing group forming.

The problem, or maybe its not a problem, is finding members. I suppose if
you recruited your church you could find enough people who wanted to live
together in community. There may be more secular intentional communities
than non-secular, so having a religious focus seems to work out fine for
communities. Without any question, the longest existing intentional
communities are all religious. The Hutterites go back several hundred years
as communities. We have a couple of Hutterite communities in the NW, one of
which has been around since the 1920's.

There are some folks who have in the past objected to religious groups
calling themselves cohousing because non-ideology was one of the ways that
they defined cohousing.

Rob Sandelin
Who likes his rainbows with lots of colors