Re: waiting lists
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 20:59:15 -0600 (MDT)
At RoseWind, all of our 24 home sites are owned, and all but a few are
built and occupied.  One can only join via resale, and it's "open
market". We have a strong interest in having pre-educated potential
joiners. Learning enough to make an informed decision to join a
particular community takes time -- visiting, coming to social, work, or
business gatherings, asking questions-- and resales can go very quickly.
So we do our best to respond hospitably and with information to those who
inquire, and to help locals and local realtors have a good impression of
what we are. It takes a lot of time and energy, and requires patience,
while educating a lot of people who never will buy in.

But this can pay off. We had a couple move and sell, and they never
officially put their house on the market, because we had an interested
family already "milling around". The new family had wanted to join, and
couldn't afford the one house that was already for sale.

We don't keep a waiting list, per se. People's situations are so fluid,
when they are looking for housing, in terms of timing and price, that it
would change too often. We do know who is actively interested, and have
endeavored to tell such people first, if something becomes available. And
I have the email addresses of those who have inquired, and can notify
them of a resale.

If you are talking about resales, keep in mind that whatever contract you
might come up with would need to deal with the potential situation that
the reseller is disinterested, or even hostile. We had that once, when an
elderly member died and her estranged family had no interest or trust in
us. They padlocked the house, and months later sold it overnight via a
real estate broker, at an under-market-value price. They shunned our
messages saying we had potentially interested buyers and wanted no
commission. The buyer did not come from seeking community, and eventually
sold again and moved elsewhere.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com