Re: Should individual "sponsorship" be allowed of community
From: David Mandel (dlmandelpacbell.net)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:41:07 -0600 (MDT)
Howard, I'm struck that you assume "fair" means everyone pays the same
amount and then conclude it's inevitable that the less well off will hold
things up. The answer for us has been to develop a process that balances out
the inequality and creates a pool of funds available for capital
improvements. We assess a monthly fee for this purpose that is steeply
scaled according to ability to pay. Progressive taxation -- what a concept!
Thus everyone is contributing something and discussions on how to spend it
aren't skewed by who is willing to put in more.
David (Liz's neighbor)