Re: Young researches (was supporting forming communities)
From: Kristin Becker (kbeckerposterfrost.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:04:11 -0700 (MST)
I'd like to take this discussion into another realm.  Fred brought up some
very important points I'd like to lead off on.  I am a student that will be
graduating in May with a degree in Architecture and have been thinking about
what the next step is.  One road I've been considering is finding a way to
be an advocate for cohousing and/or housing for people with disabilities.
How to do this I haven't figured out yet, but Fred's discussion is along the
line I've been thinking.

> There is also a tradition of using the energy of typically younger, less
> rooted people to organize for good causes

This is true, I would love to find a way to finance visiting and studying
cohousing to become an expert and eventually be able to offer advice and
possible write a book or hold conferences.  In addition, I could be a
consultant for those interested in forming cohousing communities as well as
government agencies who may need assistance grabbing hold of the idea... I
know many people have had difficulties with planning commissions, etc.

> Another thing that would help is if we could figure out how to make
> cohousing cheaper (See comments in Timeday discussion recently).  If
> cohousing were less expensive it would free up time and resources to
> organize.

The idea of affordable cohousing is also an area I am very interested,
combining with the need of affordable housing for those with disabilities.
I have attended one conference on affordable housing and would really like
to pursue this further.  I think this is definately an area cohousing needs
to grab onto and some communities have begun.

So if anyone has any ideas on how I could find a way to fund this - i.e.
grants, fellowships, etc., please let me know.  I am just starting to begin
researching this idea and would like to find how I can further this.  I
apologize for this being somewhat piecemeal as I am writing this quickly and
am still working this out myself.  I'd like to know how much support is out
there as well.

Thank you!
Kristin