Re: Re: "Sexuality" in Co-housing
From: Amy Gahran (amygahran.com)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:08:05 -0800 (PST)
Edith Daly wrote:

>There are many of
> us, I'm sure,who are wondering the same thing, "how will I be accepted if
> I want to join co-housing."  Especially Lesbians, as we age we have even
> fewer resources and we are tired of hiding our "sexuality".

This brings up a question I have. Generally, are non-monogamous
relationship/family structures accepted well in cohousing communities?

My husband and I are polyamorous. (If you're not familiar with that
term, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory) We are very
interested in cohousing. While we don't need to live in a specifically
poly community, it would at least need to be poly-friendly, since we
choose not to conceal our other relationships and we consider our
other partners to be family.

I realize that every cohousing community is unique. It strikes me that
most people I've met in cohousing tend to be fairly socially tolerant,
and wouldn't care that we're poly. However, that's just what I've seen
among the cohousing people we've happened to meet so far.

Might there be more general acceptance problems of our approach to
relationships in cohousing communities, or might there be resistance
or problems?

Thanks,

- Amy Gahran
  Boulder, CO