Re: Cohousing and local neighborhood
From: Laura Fitch (lfitchkrausfitch.com)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:50:11 -0700 (PDT)
Pioneer Valley Cohousing in western Massachusetts has a dozen active
"associate members" who live in the adjacent neighborhood (not in a
cohousing unit).  They come to meals and help with work.  Both the members
and the associate members have many outside connections, and bring political
and other organizations into the community.  The Common House is frequently
used (once a month?) for outside groups with sponsors within our community:

examples:
- local politicians come to meals during campaign to talk about issues
- Men's Resource Center (University based organization combating violence)
uses our common house for yearly event
- Buddhist meditation retreat uses common house for yearly event
- Guatemalan adoption group (parents that adopted Guatemalan children) have
yearly party.
Cambodian water project - yearly non-profit fund raiser

etc, etc.

Laura Fitch, AIA, LEED
Kraus-Fitch Architects, Inc
110 Pulpit Hill Rd.