Re: Free-Riders & Cohousing
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:46:41 -0700 (PDT)
How do cohousing communities define and deal with the problem of
"free-riders?"

Oak Creek Commons, like most communities, has variable participation. We chose
to deal with this
by imposing a "participation charge" as part of the dues. Residents can choose
to participate
and receive a credit up to the full amount of the charge for doing things which
receive
participation credit. For those that don't have the time or don't wish to
participate, they
"contribute" their fair share in terms of money. That way, all contribute one
way or another.

Currently, we ask each adult to contribute 8 hours per month in "participation"
which includes
cooking and meal cleanup, attending business and committee meetings, and doing
various kinds of
maintenance (landscaping, common house cleaning, etc.) There are limits on the
amount of time
credited for meetings. The participation charge is $32 per household.

Rob Sandelin's numbers hold very well here. About 75% of the community receives
full credit for
participation, while 25% prefer the monetary contribution. Of the 75%, there is
a range from
just enough to many more hours than the minimum.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons