Mini-Cohousing
From: Diana Leafe Christian (dianaic.org)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 05:21:59 -0700 (PDT)
That's really interesting. So if you already have a house, you would
form a homeowners association with the required documents and you'd
have to transfer title to and obtain financing as the HOA?
        Rachel Lederman <rlederman [at] 2momslaw.com>

Yes, however I'm not sure the group could get financing from a bank as a multi-household HOA in a large single-family dwelling. I believe it might fly with the bank if one person was the designated lender. This would work for a bank, I think. For such an arrangement to work for a group, I'd recommend they have promissory notes and/or other contracts between the designated lender and the others, so they could share the loan payments, but privately, among themselves.
        Diana

Diana Leafe Christian
diana [at] ic.org