Re: common house kitchen stove
From: Mariana Almeida (missmgrrlyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
You know, this goes against my cohousing philosophy of purchases:

Here's my philosophy: For common use, purchase the most foolproof, easy-to-use,
commonly- found version of any item.

Here's why: In a shared environment where most people use the item infrequently
and without looking at directions, you will want to pick the item carefully to
be the easiest to use. So, I think that would be gas or electric stoves.

Why I reached this conclusion: we have a list of unusual appliances and unusual
lamps that were broken by people attempting to use them improperly. When an
item doesn't conform to expectations, it takes people a long time to figure it
out, and often results in breakage.

But Mike is proposing that everyone in the whole community have these stoves,
so they will all get used to using them. That's good. However, if you have
guest cooks, they will need to learn to use this.

One more point: this stove requires cast iron, which is heavy. Some of our
older members can't lift the cast iron pans and refuse to use them. By
requiring cast iron, you may be causing some problems down the road for cooks.

Mariana
Berkeley, CA