Re: Insurance
From: Peter Orbeton (
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 11:09:30 -0800 (PST)
Concurring with Edwin. Typically a D&O policy does cover volunteers, but
consult your insurance agent/insurer as the fine print matters. Also, NH
condo law, which governs us, requires specific delegation from the owners
association to committees for decision-making/actions. If delegation is
required and not approved by the owners association, then committee members
could be individually exposed. As for workers compensation, probably not is
the most typical - no wages, no salary, etc., then no coverage. Depends on
the state as Edwin said.

Also, look into what is known as 'fidelity bond insurance'; it's different
from D&O and provides protection from volunteer criminal acts or dishonesty
while engaged in business activities for your community. This includes, for
example, using the social security number, bank account number, etc. of a
resident under false pretenses. If a buyer finances a mortgage backed by
Fannie Mae, you are required to have it. It's relatively inexpensive, and
I'd say a best practice to have.

Thanks, Peter
Nubanusit Neighborhood & Farm

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 12:57 PM Edwin Simmers <edwinsimmers [at]>

> It’s very difficult to address, even broadly, the details of an insurance
> policy one isn’t able to read. Insurance agents are often the best source
> of information about insurance policies offered by the companies they
> represent.
> It is, of course, important to be clear about what sort of liability or
> loss one wishes to be covered before talking to an insurance agent. Is it
> coverage for monetary loss caused by an error or omission of a person or
> entity (typically an officer or board of an association) legally
> responsible for making organization decisions? Is it coverage for
> intentional fraud or theft? Is is liability insurance for injury to
> another? No-fault coverage for medical or wage-loss expenses?
> With that information in mind, a group will be better prepared to
> investigate the various policies offered by private insurance companies.
> Don’t forget to check with your state's workers compensation systems to see
> if there is coverage for community members injured while performing tasks
> that are community-related.
> > Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 03:29:30 -0500
> > From: Clara Lovatt <claraagnes48 [at]>
> > Subject: [C-L]_ Insurance
> >
> > Just a general question about insurance to cover cohousing
> > members/volunteers working on circles and task groups - pre and post move
> > in.   Does the typical board liability type of insurance cover all the
> > kinds of work done by volunteers in cohousing?
> _________________________________________________________________
> Cohousing-L mailing list -- Unsubscribe, archives and other info at:

Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.