Re: Ansul hood in the common house kitchen
From: Katie Henry (katie-henryatt.net)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:42:18 -0700 (PDT)
 A little more detail ... We were told by our consulting engineers that the
"inspector" (fire marshal?) will probably require the Ansul hood. According to
the engineers, our options are to (1) install the Ansul hood now or (2) install
a regular hood and hope the inspector passes it, but if not and we are required
to replace it with an Ansul hood, it will cost much more than if we'd installed
it in the first place.
Evidently it's not an option to reach out to the fire marshal to discuss, but
maybe that's the way consulting engineers think.
Katie

| Re: Ansul hood in the common house kitchen |    |
| From: Bryan Bowen (bryancaddispc.com) |
| Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:17:26 -0700 (PDT) |

Generally it boils down to the mechanical code plans examiner or the fire
marshal. I think I have a copy of an interpretation from our local building
official justifying the use of a regular (non fire suppression hood) in our
co-ops and cohousing projects here in Boulder. I'll try to dig that up.
There was a code change several years ago that made this a more likely
interpretation.