Re: Ansul hood in the common house kitchen
From: Bryan Bowen (bryancaddispc.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 12:57:31 -0700 (PDT)
I'm afraid what I could find was this, from our (then) chief building
official: "After studying the type of use established for this particular
kitchen, and utilizing the 2006 IMC commentary, it was determined to be
unnecessary." We generally explain that we're just cooking for ourselves,
no wholesale or retail use. Use is one aspect, the other is the type of
cooking and equipment used.

One path is to have a local code expert (we use Colorado Code Consulting)
write a letter explaining this interpretation citing the code and
commentary. Or, your architect of record (who is awesome), or your
mechanical engineer.

Still, many jurisdictions are little fiefdoms and so much of it can really
come down to one person's predilections and whether you can find a way to
convince them.

The battle rages!

- b

BRYAN BOWEN    |    PRINCIPAL   |    AIA   |    LEED AP

*caddis collaborative*
1510 Zamia Ave #103
Boulder, CO 80304
303 443 3629