Re: strategies to rein in escalating purchase prices
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2021 07:29:24 -0700 (PDT)
> On May 27, 2021, at 8:57 AM, Olaf Kula <kulaolaf1957 [at] gmail.com> wrote:

> One  of the major cost drivers, appears to be
> our integration of passiv design,  which we hope will take us close to net
> zero energy use for heating and cooling.  One question is in finding more
> builders familiar with passiv architecture to bid on this contract.   The
> other is whether there are grants, lending concessions, or tax incentives,
> to offset the higher building costs.

Google search is one of the most wonderful things of modern life. I used to do
research by going to a large research library and plowing through dozens of
linear feet of index cards in cabinets as large as a fleet of bookshelves. And
consulting annual directories to find associations and businesses. There are a
million of these. And dictionaries to find obscure technical terms or decode a
painting title in 11th century Latin.

Now I just Google everything. It takes some practice at figuring out what to
search for but each search will suggest new keywords to use in the next search.

A search on "Passive House construction costs” brought up this article on the
Zero Energy Project site on a house by architect, Richard Pedranti, who built a
Passive House for $165 per square foot. In his area construction costs are
normally $175-$200 for regular construction.

Passive House Busts High Cost Myth
https://zeroenergyproject.org/2018/07/20/passive-house-busts-high-cost-myth-2/

This article on the Professional Builder website by designer and builder
Natalie Leonard has a point by point list of things that add to construction
costs in Passive House design.

Can Building a Passive House Cost the Same as a Code-Built Home?
https://www.probuilder.com/blog/can-building-passive-house-cost-same-code-built-home

One tip is to build using locally available materials that tradespeople are
familiar with and put them together in new ways to achieve Passive House
performance. This step is critical to cost control. Importing materials,
windows and mechanical systems from Europe is expensive, costly to install, and
difficult to service in the future.

It is also possible to find a Passive House expert at a distance who will
review your construction plans and suggest other strategies. This woman might
be able to do that or to suggest someone who will. Maybe there is someone
summers in Taos who knows Passive House techniques.

Research is so easy these days. Most people in business now have a professional
approach to email so you can contact them in a minute and get a lot of
information or a referral.

Sharon
———
Sharon Villines, Editor & Publisher
Affordable Housing means 30% of household income
Cohousing means self-developed, self-governed, self-managed
http://affordablecohousing.com

To subscribe to the discussion list send a blank message to:
affordablecohousing+subscribe [at] groups.io