Re: strategies to rein in escalating purchase prices
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 11:07:56 -0700 (PDT)
What I intended is to warn people about knee-jerk reactions that appear to be
socially conscious and anti-racist but in fact are ill-advised and
self-destructive. If a plumbing “company” never existed before public funds
were made available in some form to hire it, the proposition is suspect.
Clearly I said never existed before:

> The problem was that they were brand new and didn’t exist before the
> legislation existed. The result was a lot of work that had to be redone, some
> not discovered until years later.

It takes a long time for a company of people to learn to work together well
even if they are skilled. New companies have to be evaluated more closely than
companies that have built a reputation.

To build a $7.5 million cohousing complex, you don’t use inexperienced workers
unless they are apprentices to experienced workers and work only under their
supervision.

Being anti-racist doesn’t mean "hire people to do jobs they aren’t qualified to
do just because they are black or brown” or let people win bids aimed at
minorities who are purporting to be from a minority group when they aren’t.
That will surely backfire and give competent minority-owned companies a bad
reputation.

Sharon