Re: Re: rituals
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:48:01 -0700 (MST)
Pathways is going through the rituals/holidays breaking-in period as well.
Last year we had a few solstice celebrations but declined to sponser as a
community anything overtly religous.  However, the solstice celebrations and
even some of the non-secular celebrations began to be encroached by some
spiritual-type rituals; chanting, thanks to the goddesses, and so on.  This
irritated some folks, including some of those whose holidays were too
controversial to get on the community list.   Additionally, some of those
whose holidays were left off the list felt intimidated from going all out and
holding their own celebrations because of strong feelings from others
expressed against their holidays.

We eventually realized that some people were avoiding community events to
avoid having to sit through someone else's ritual (you can count me as one of
them- at our first year celebration I just went for a bike ride).  So this
year, the community living committee decided to cut back on virtually all
spritual-type rituals at community events.  This, however, only means at
official Pathways sponsored and organized gatherings/events.  Folks are free
to hold their own, including using the Common House for larger gatherings,
and many no longer feel they need to avoid celebrating some holidays to avoid
offending someone else.  I guess we'll see how this works out in the coming
year.

The reality is that there is a wide diversity in religious/spiritual beliefs
in this community that make it impossible to accomodate everyone.   As a
chiropractor, in practice management courses I was advised strongly to avoid
taking about politics and religion with patients.  You never know what will
push someone's buttons.  In community, we get the opportunity to find out
what those buttons are, but push them and you'll sure get a reaction just the
same.

    Roger Berman
    Pathways Cohousing
    Northampton, MA

    Where, after over a year of planning, delays and meetings, the plaza in
front of the Comon House is finally being built!!