Re: Re: Cohousing Principles and the Contradictions of Practice
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 07:37:01 -0700 (MST)

In a private post i suggested to Greg that if he wanted a more off-topic discussion he start a companion list. This was not to infer that this list had problems or that another list was needed or that Fred was not a good moderator. The list as it is is wonderful and with all the warts of our discussions is an excellent introduction to cohousing. It gives you the flavor of what it's like on the inside -- at least the discussion part.

The point of a second list would be to carry on discussion of topics that are more removed from cohousing per se or those that the main list has gotten tired of. EXAMPLE: I participate in a list that discusses the Britcom As Time Goes By. It is a large list with almost 1000 subscribers and through it I've met many people with whom I share a sense of humor and other interests. We wanted a place to continue conversations that people on the main list thought were off topic, too risque, or too critical (they worship Judi Dench).

With the agreement of the moderators of the main list (who also subscribe to my list) we started an email list for discussions that are 3 degrees removed from the Britcom and can cover topics that are more critical and "inappropriate" like whether Judi Dench is becoming a legend like Judi Garland and Marilyn Monroe in gay bars where men build careers imitating them and differences between British and American cultures. We also discuss trips to London, etc.

The rules are, everyone who subscribes to the secondary list must be subscribed to the main list so we don't duplicate postings or have to explain what we are talking about. The secondary list is a voice in the background that the main listers are welcome to join but most do not. When a topic on the main list gets too far afield, we move it to the side list.

We also have a side list for those planning trips to London where people share travel and lodging info and this is very convenient because there is then an archive of recommendations as well as access to others who have current information.

On the cohousing list, we might, for example, have a side list for kitchens and recipes, kids activities, etc. Side lists would allow greater focus on a topic of continuing interest or more general discussion between people who live in cohousing but want to talk about something else.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines, Washington DC
Where all roads lead to Casablanca