Re: Fifty Plus Cohousing + ?
From: Jeanne Goodman (GoodmanJjpcohousing.org)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:44:02 -0700 (MST)
As a parent, I have been following most of this discussion and noting my own
reaction to it. I discovered that my initial reaction was to want to defend
the children then it occured to me that my real problem with the 50+
cohousing is that I feel discrimated against as a parent. At times
parenthood feels like a disability.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I regret having children. Not for a
moment. But when I can't go here, live there, attend this meeting, and have
additional costs that non-parents do not have. I go through a lot of extra
things to be part of my community. My community does a lot of things in
order to accommodate me as a parent.

So I believe that this is the root of my feeling hurt when someone wants to
exclude me because I have children. So when I examine my feelings carefully,
I realize that my concerns are more selfish than protective.

Jeanne "Very grateful for my open-armed community" Goodman
JP Cohousing, Boston