Scheduling major events on Yom Kippur
From: Tom Hammer (thammer302yahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:33:07 -0600 (MDT)
I just received word of a local couple who lead a
forming cohousing group in this area who cannot come
to a major event here on the East Coast because the
event was scheduled on Yom Kippur.  As I understand
it, this is the biggest holday of the year for Jews.
It would be like scheduling a regional cohousing event
on Christmas.  I believe these folks also felt
excluded, and they may not have pushed their members
to attend as a result of their feelings about the
scheduling.

If we want to be a movement that successfully recruits
diverse groups, I think we have to be very sensitive
to schedule our events around the major religions in
the U.S.  Otherwise, the message that may come across
is that we really do not care about diversity.

Tom Hammer
Concord Village

=====
Concord Village--creating an old fashioned neighborhood in a new way.
http://tom.hammer.tripod.com/cohousing

"The mutual trust at the heart of community is born of each day's forgiveness
and acceptance of the frailty and poverty of ourselves and of others.  But this
trust is not developed overnight.  That is why it takes time to form a real
community...Gradually [people] discover that others love them as they are and
trust them. But this trust must stand the test and must always be growing."
Jean Vanier, Community and Growth