Re: Architectural Review
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:19:39 -0800 (PST)
Hi Sharon and all -

Eastern Village is working on a walkway policy for our outdoor balconies
right now.  The point person for the policy is an architect with an eclectic
eye
for the artistic, so the group is pretty much trusting him for now.  It may be
that since we are starting so early on this, it will be less of an issue
later. The style he's recommending is sort of eclectic folk-art (we're in a
state
tax credit area for arts and entertainment, so we can purchase such art easily
in the area).

The way we designed our courtyard space, there is no obvious way for first
floor residents to expand their "territory" into community planted space.  And
walkways and balconies allow only minimal room after allowing for passageway
wide enough for a wheelchair.

I gather someone is exploring how people with exterior doors can hang art on
the outside wall next to them without damaging the building's skin.  Art is
already appearing next to apartment doors that open into interior space.  For
example, I hung a Mexican tiled mirror outside my door, facing into common
space
by the elevators, and someone on the fourth floor has a doormat, framed
picture and a wreath outside their doorway.

I think our idea is to try to have fun with this, and invoke our mediation
policy if anything gets sticky.

Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
"Where we're working on our first operating and capital budgets, oh my!"