Re: Re: Architectural Review - Changing Tastes
From: normangauss (normangausscharter.net)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:31:01 -0800 (PST)
Esthetic tastes are sometimes ephemeral.  One of our members at Oak Creek
Commons on the Central Coast of California was raised in Wisconsin and
originally thought that our area was too dry looking and too much like a
desert (our average rainfall is about 13 inches).  After living here she
began to appreciate the looks of our natural landscapes and no longer thinks
of it as too dry and looking like a desert.

People sometimes take their biases with them and judge their new
surroundings in terms of what they were used to.  If you came from a
cluttered yard, you appreciate clutter.  If you came from a clean or
sculptured yard, you hate clutter.  Each has its advantages.

If you interact with your neighbors, you begin to think in terms of what
makes them happy, and along the way appreciate their point of view.
Esthetics then begins to fade in importance and you can evolve into a
feeling of "I can live with that".

Norm Gauss
Oak Creek Commons
Paso Robles, CA