Aging in Cohousing
From: David Entin (davidentincomcast.net)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 17:00:17 -0700 (PDT)
To respond to Shira Klapper who wants to do research on aging on cohousing:
1) I understand there are three completed senior cohousing communities in the
US.  One is Silver Sage in Boulder, CO.  All are relatively new and thus don't
have a long track record of experience.
2) You should see "Senior Cohousing: A Community Approach to Independent
Living" by Charles Durrett.   I believe he would be willing to talk with you as
well.  He is a cohousing architect and experienced practitioner who lives in
cohousing and has led several workshops on how to create senior cohousing.
3) I also suggest you talk with Diane Margolis at Cambridge Cohousing who put
together a panel at our recent national cohousing conference on the subject of
aging in cohousing and her community has wrestled with this issue.
4) We had a small working group on this topic a couple of years ago at Rocky
Hill and Pathways, two adjacent cohousing communities in Northampton, MA.
    I hope these suggestions are helpful to you.  The Cohousing Association of
the US would like to receive a copy of your research to make it available to
cohousing communities.  I am on the Board of Coho/US.   David Entin, Rocky Hill
Cohousing.