Re: Inter-generational age-in-place co-housing communities - are there any out there?
From: R Philip Dowds (rpdowdscomcast.net)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
I wrote ... "Design and live in the thing YOU want ..."  I will stand firmly
behind this advice, but also embellish it a bit.

I once designed a gut rehab condo for an "open plan" couple who wanted the
"master bath" to be fully a part of the "master bedroom" space — that is, one
big room containing bed and plumbing fixtures.  ???  Clearly, this wouldn't
work for most couples — but the client is the client, and it's not for me to
impose my norms, or what I understand as community norms, on their design
preferences.  However, I did find a way to design it in their preference, but
such that it was pretty easy to isolate a "normal" bathroom from the "normal"
bedroom by the future addition of one wall and door.  No demo or relocation of
plumbing required.

So here is my point, embellished a bit:
     (1) Design and live in the thing YOU want.  This may be your one and only
opportunity to make something that's exactly right for you.  But ...
     (2) If you are designing units for others on spec — that is, for future
buyers you've not yet met — then "market  middle" designs are the obvious
strategy.
     (3) Renovation happens frequently when residential units change hands, and
bit of clever design anticipation can often enhance the future adaptability of
a space.  And finally ...
     (4) Do not imagine that you can expertly predict exactly what a future
purchaser of your unit will want.  You may be horrified to learn that the nice
couple to whom you sold your beloved coho unit promptly ripped out the wall
between your bedroom and your master bath.

Philip Dowds

PS:  When did Mosaic Commons start construction?  Not 2007, I hope ...