Re: Types of conflict in cohousing -- did I miss any? (Mariana's questions)
From: Mary Baker, Solid Communications (marysolid-communications.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 08:27:37 -0800 (PST)
Thanks, Mariana. Your comments and questions are very helpful. Let me try to
answer your questions as best I can.

Re the topic of consequences, I was not referring to the levying of punishment
toward people that don’t cooperate or “fit in”. Just the opposite, in fact. I
am referring to a lack of consequences for established residents who for some
reason give themselves permission to target, bully and insult others. This ties
into conflict avoidance because people don’t want to take a stand when this
kind of thing happens—not even a mild, “hey that’s not okay”. But these are two
sides of the same coin, aren’t they?  I’ll mention them both the workbook.

Re compelled behavior: I was actually thinking of pressure to conform to
unspoken and unspecified behaviors—like expecting everyone to be very social
all the time.

Re non-transparent communication: I think F2F is the heart and soul of a
community, but I do believe that vilifying technology and those who like to use
it is intolerant, not to mention positively Luddite. I also believe that
communities are complex structures and that there should be clear, archived,
and non-edited communication. For one of our more complex general meetings, I
took my mp3 recorder and was glad I did, because several people specifically
asked to have their comments included in the minutes, and yet ... they were
not. The mp3 file is now available on our website as a link to cloud storage
(it’s rather large).
Another example of transparency: I was on the security team and we had a rash
of petty thefts, and of course the predictable hue and cry. However, not only
did everyone have an opinion, some were speaking for the community, as in “We
don’t want this,  no one wants that, we talked about that years ago.” But we
have quite a few new families with young children, so I knew I wasn’t getting a
good sampling. I used SurveyMonkey.com to craft a survey and sent it around, to
give the team some guidance and insight into what people really want. I ended
up doing a follow-up survey, at the request of some residents. And then a
neighboring coho asked me to do one for them, which I was pleased to do.
Meanwhile people in my own community were anonymously leaving insulting
comments about me on the survey form. Now we are installing more lights and
some security cameras, and the surveys and decisions are stored on the team
page. I chose to withdraw from the team after that because it was clear that
people were targeting me with their displeasure and fear of change, instead of
addressing the real issues—mainly that we’re in a Bermuda Triangle between
three drug rehabs and crime here is on the rise. (Well, we ORDERED a camera but
when it arrived the new team leader couldn’t figure out how to use it so she
sent it back. Sigh.)
Without this kind of archived information, the loudest voices in the community
hold sway, simply because they can shout down everyone else.
Btw, I’m 60 years old and find all these tasks extremely easy to perform, so
age is not an excuse!

Re: Old Guard elitism – yes an unwillingness to change or even discuss new
ideas. As I mentioned, we have some new families (and newborns!) which is
refreshing as our first flock of chicks are grown and have flown the nest. Some
people are still clinging, however, to the most ridiculous things, from how
people refer to the community buildings (the gym must always be called ‘MPR’)
to a brown, crusty, disgusting first aid kit. Anyway, it’s not the details that
are the issue—it’s the intolerance of change.

Thank you again for your questions and comments!
Mary