Re: How Cohousing communities decide on new members
From: R Philip Dowds (rphilipdowdsme.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 12:12:09 -0700 (PDT)
A few comments, some of which may earn me no friends …

Fair housing law, without question, applies to the sellers and their agents.
In the formational stage, this is almost always the community.  But once the
unit is sold to a household … who’s the next seller for the resale?  What
rights and powers does the community retain to interact in the resale process?

Moreover, “fair housing” is a proxy description for “anti-discrimination”.
Anti-discrimination law defines personal or demographic attributes that cannot
be weighed as part of the decision to sell, or not sell, a housing unit.  But
it’s not clear that these attributes are even the most important ones for
community identity, solidarity, and diversity.  A few examples might include …
  •  Income?  Do you worry that households stretched very thin, in their home
purchase, may be unwilling to consent to anything other than a minimalist
annual budget?  Should you set a minimum household income for buy-in?  Or,
forget it, and hope for the best?
  •  Shared interests?  What if your aspirations include affinity group
compatilities, like, people who want to play music together?  Can you reject a
household that fails its audition, in favor of a household full of pianists and
percussionists?  Remember, musical ability is not an attribute protected by
“fair housing” law.  If you go for the musical household, are you more
interested in compatibility and uniformity than in diversity?  Is this bad?
  •  Enthusiasm?  What if you have a purchaser candidate household that clearly
“gets it”, and wants to be an active contributing member of intentional
community?  And another candidate ready to pay more, but clueless about, and
possibly hostile to, the cohousing lifeway?  Should you discriminate in favor
of apparent enthusiasm?  (Not protected by law …)

None of which addresses one of our biggest conundrums:  Senior cohousing.
Which “discriminates” against “young” people, and families with young kids.
Familial status is verboten as an attribute of discrimination … but senior
housing, and senior cohousing, gets a pass.  Should it?  If it does, then what
about cohousing only for people of Central American heritage?  What’s wrong
with that?

Nor the affordability challenge.  If you want to build affordably, make the
units as standardized as you possibly can:  Like, just three sizes, with
identical layouts for each unit of the same size.  But if you want diversity,
make all the units distinctly different:  Different sizes; different layouts;
some with stairs, some not, some studios, some 4-bedrooms; etc etc.  But a
construction plan made entirely of unique conditions definitely increases
construction costs.  What’s most important?

I do not pretend to have any slam-dunk answers for these questions.  But I
think the questions of intentional community can get really hard.  Unless we’re
ready to understand that the entire process of developing and managing
intentional community is one of carefully calibrated compromise among
legitimate competing values.  Fealty to “diversity" does not, on its own, solve
the problem.

Thanks,
Philip Dowds
Cornerstone Village Cohousing