Re: How Cohousing communities decide on new members seniors and requirements
From: Liz Ryan Cole (lizryancoleme.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2021 18:21:21 -0700 (PDT)
Phillip raises many good questions.

I have a question and an explanation for why it is possible to “discriminate”
in favor of older persons

My question is - Are there any groups that have membership requirement similar
to a a coop work requirement?  Would share your experience?  Some of us having
lived in group houses in the past, our membership agreement requires all
members who plan to live here (Pinnacle in Lyme, NH) to commit to 2 hours of
work per week -  Mostly that will be in cooking and clearning up from group
meals (which we will offer every day). Some of it might be in "work days”.  And
some might be in daring socks when we are too infirm to stack wood (assuming of
course people still have socks that can be darned). :)

We have found the work requirement provides a natural screening.  Some people
say great idea, tell us more about your community, and some say, no thanks, not
interested.  Of course enforcement is an issue, but that’s for another
discussion.  Anyone else have examples of this type of “screening”?

and my explanation about senior housing… this from the HUD page: This is the
“pass” Phil refers to.
Housing for Older Persons exemptions apply to the following housing:

Provided under any state or federal program that the Secretary of HUD has
determined to be specifically designed and operated to assist elderly persons
(as defined in the state or federal program);
Intended for, and solely occupied by persons 62 years of age or older; or
Intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older.
The 55 or older exemption is the most common of the three.

for whether this over 55 housing without being designed to meet the needs of
seniors is good idea (full disclosure, I don’t) see
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/pdredge/pdr_edge_featd_article_071213.html

liz (Ryan Cole)
lizryancole [at] me.com

Pinnacle Cohousing and Loch Lyme Lodge and Cabins
Lyme, NH

802.274.1511 Mobile
802.831.1240 Work (Vermont Law School)
she/her(s)

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire
to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.”
― E.B. White